Buildings and attractions at Langinkoski
The downstairs of the two-storey Imperial Fishing Lodge built of logs contain the spacious drawing room, front hall, Empress’ dressing room, Emperor’s small study, kitchen, and its porch. The bodyguards’ room, hall, and the bedrooms of the imperial couple, children and retinue together with much storage space are located upstairs. The rooms do not have wallpaper, but the beautiful planed log surfaces have been left visible.
The interior and items in the lodge are almost entirely of Finnish production. The furniture in the drawing room was made by a joiner’s shop located in Sunila in Kotka. The textiles were made by Tampella and the dishes by Arabia. The kitchen stove was manufactured by the Högfors factory, and the Emperor’s axe represented Billnäs’ production. The wine and drinking glasses were from the local Karhula glass factory. At least some of the furniture made of curly birch was manufactured by the Boman carpenter shop in Turku.
The large fireplace in the drawing room is in accordance with the original drawings. This type of fireplace is very rare in Finland.
The beds of the Emperor and Empress have been returned to the imperial bedroom. When Finland became independent, the beds had been taken to Kultaranta, the summer residence of the President of Finland, for use as guest beds. The silverware, some of which had also been taken elsewhere, was brought back when the lodge was made a museum.
The oldest building in the area is the small Orthodox chapel, which is approx. 80 years older than the fishing lodge. The chapel was built by the monks of the Valamo monastery. They had obtained the salmon fishing rights to two rapids in the River Kymijoki in 1797. The chapel originally had open walls, and the glass windows have been added later. The Orthodox parish of Kotka holds services and prayers at the chapel in the summer.
Emperor’s memorial stone
Two years after the death of Alexander III, in November 1896, a memorial stone for the Emperor was unveiled at Langinkoski. The translation of the text on the plaque mounted on the stone reads: “Alexander III, Builder of Peace, enjoyed rest and recreation here under the aegis of a faithful people from 1888 to 1894. The people of Kymi and Kotka erected this memorial plaque.”
During the Civil War of 1918 following the independence of Finland, the memorial stone was shot at and vandalised, and there were attempts to remove it. The traces of vandalism have been retained as a memento of one phase in the history of Finland.
In 1892, the Emperor had a small residential cottage built beside the Langinkoski rapids for his three fishermen. The fishermen arrived from Russia at the beginning of the spring fishing season and returned home in the autumn.
Old summer café
The old summer café pavilion has been in use as early as 1926. Originally, the café was also an open building where windows were added later. The café building is owned by the City of Kotka, and it houses a summer café.